Renewable energy is key to the health of our planet and the communities that healthcare delivery organizations serve. The healthcare sector is responsible for an estimated 8.5% of America’s total greenhouse gas emissions according to MedPage Today. On average, hospitals use 31KWH of electricity and 103,600 BTUS of natural gas per square foot per year; and end up spending $8.3 billion on energy each year with utility bills making up an average of 1.4% of operating revenue. For example, a 200,000-square-foot facility, with 50 beds, spends an average of $13,600 per year per bed, with total energy costs of $680,000.
Implementing a renewable and onsite energy program can drastically change that financial equation while reducing carbon footprint: every $1 in reduced energy costs equates to a $20 increase in a healthcare delivery organization’s revenue. With proper financial, legal, regulatory, and energy technology guidance, often sustainability programs can be implemented at no upfront cost, making projects cash flow positive from day one.
Unfortunately, healthcare facility and energy procurement managers are bombarded with consultants trying to sell technologies for their own benefit. Most energy “consulting” is really a thin veil for sales of a particular product and fails to prioritize the client’s needs.
So, what should you look for in an energy consultant?
- Healthcare-centric expertise to ensure a deep understanding of your organization’s clinical processes, technology needs, and business operations
- A technology- and vendor-neutral approach
- Renewable energy regulatory expertise to help you navigate the ever-evolving energy industry
- Financial expertise specific to renewable energy for guidance on the current state of available grants and funding and utility incentives, and state sponsored programs
- Proven methodologies for assessing interconnection capability and existing utility load profiles
- Automated technology for accurate, 24/7 carbon accounting and emissions tracking (oxygen tanks count).
- Comprehensive end-to-end services to oversee the assessment, vendor and technology selection, planning, execution, and ongoing management of your sustainability program to optimize performance
Pixel Health’s Renewable and Onsite Energy advisors offer unique services in the energy market, combining healthcare expertise with decades of energy industry, financial, legal, and regulatory experience. We are the only healthcare energy consultancy that employs experts actively leading the regulatory efforts of the renewable energy industry. We understand the financial aspects of project development, will help arrange financing, and have personally led healthcare facility teams in the installation of renewable and onsite energy technologies. Learn more about our services <<link to the content we’re going to get live today>> or contact us at email@example.com to start your transition to a reduced carbon footprint today.